Millions of people around the world have ongoing back pain. It can range from dull, constant pain to sudden sharp pain in terms of intensity. It may begin as a result of an unfortunate accident or could develop as we age. Back pain may be categorized into two –
- Acute back pain is the short-term pain that lasts from only a few days to a few weeks. With the right treatment and self-care, this type of pain could go away without causing permanent functional damages.
- Chronic back pain is a pain that lasts more than 12 weeks. Since its onset, the pain continues to affect us and disrupt our daily activities for a long time.
Choosing the right kind of treatment for back pain is important. In Ayurveda, back pain is known as Kati Shoola, where Kati refers to the lower back (hip) and Shoola means pain. As a natural healing system, Ayurveda is the world’s oldest holistic medicine developed over 5,000 years ago in India. It ensures body wellness and fights off diseases by maintaining a balance between mind, body, and spirit.
Causes of back pain
Back pain can be a result of internal or external problems –
- Spine-related problems like spondylosis, slipped discs, bulging discs, herniated disc, sciatica, spinal stenosis, vertebral fractures, etc.
- Accidents or injuries that can cause damage in tendons, ligaments, or muscles
- Lifestyle issues like slouching, lifting heavy weights, lack of exercise, smoking, etc.
- Tumors in any part of the body may spread to the back and cause pain.
Usually, back pain starts between the ages of 30 and 50. Loss of bone strength due to aging is one of the reasons why it is commonly seen in older people. The chances of having spinal stenosis also increase with age.
Being overweight or obese can put excessive stress causing pain in the low back. People leading sedentary lifestyles with a lack of regular exercise are more likely to get injured. Other than the physical factors, the emotional state of the person (stress, anxiety, depression) can also lead to the development of muscular tension.
Kati Shoola or back pain is mainly caused by Vata Dosha. Sometimes the pain that starts in the low back, thighs, and/or legs, turns to buttocks, muscle spasms, leg pain or weakness, irregular gait, and so on. Although more people are depending on spinal surgery these days, the fact remains that only 1% to 2% of the patients need surgery. Since the disease usually comes without other symptoms, the cause of the back pain goes undiagnosed and leads to other complications like persistent pain, crippling pain, joint instability, etc.
Ayurveda is the only branch of medicine that studies the underlying cause of the problem and gives treatment accordingly. The best Ayurvedic hospital in Hyderabad provides specialized treatments to treat, cure and heal spinal and muscle problems in the back.
Meru Chikitsa is an Ancient Ayurveda Spine & Neuro Therapy that checks the flow of bodily fluids in the body. Meru Chikitsa, practiced mainly at Vardhan Ayurveda Hospital, helps in the restoration and balancing of the energy forces and creates a balance between the body and the soul. Supplementing the therapy, customized diet plan, and exercise regimen is also suggested.
Similarly, Marma chikitsa is directed towards the seven energy points of the body by giving very light stimulation. Both Meru chikitsa and Marma chikitsa provide relief from acute or chronic pain and detoxifies at all levels. It balances the body temperature and the doshas.
Panchakarma Chikitsa is another Ayurvedic treatment that is practiced for back pain. It works to restore the immune system and ensure the overall wellbeing of the individual. All three treatments when performed together will eliminate muscular inflammation and decrease pressure from the spine while healing the nerve damages at the root level.
Dhathu Pushtikara Chikitsa, Vatahaara Chikitsa, and Bruhmana Chikitsa also help in recovering from the illness and retain a healthy body. Unlike the other streams of medicine, Ayurveda ensures that back pain is treated at its root cause and reduces or eliminates the pain endured by the patients.
Although all kinds of back pain may not be completely avoidable, a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise may reduce the chances. Low-impact activities like swimming, walking, and bicycling can improve health conditions without putting strain on the lower back.
- Stretching exercises and abdominal crunches, when performed moderately, can strengthen abdominal muscles and may reduce the chances of back injury. Talk to an Ayurvedic doctor about how to perform these exercises.
- While standing, keep your head up, your stomach pulled in, and try to avoid wearing high heels for long stretches.
- Choose chairs of appropriate height for sitting. Make sure that your automobile seats have low back support.
- Avoid choosing mattresses that are too soft or too hard. Medium-firm mattresses are ideal for people with chronic back pain.
- Avoid lifting objects that are too heavy.
Even with enough caution, some people may get back pain due to genetics. Irrespective of the reason, Vardhan Ayurveda provides the best Ayurvedic treatment for back pain in Hyderabad.